My irregular musings on city life, politics, baseball, roller derby, and whatever happens to be getting my goat today.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Demolition of the Week

I regard the impending destruction of the Chicago Sun-Times building with mixed emotions. On the one hand, it's an eyesore. In fact, it's maybe the ugliest building in Chicago, which is saying something in a city that slavishly worships the architectural atrocities of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. On the other hand, Royko worked there, up until he quit after Rupert Murdoch bought the Sun-Times, saying "no self-respecting fish would be wrapped in a Murdoch paper." As the Chicago of Mike Royko and Slats Grobnik vanishes into dust, I find myself longing for some part of them to hold on to.



As the 5o's atrocity is demolished to make way for a fantastical monument to one man's ego, I comfort myself with the thought that Royko's real home base, th Billy Goat Tavern, still skulks in the underground alley just a block away.

Within two years' time the Sun-Times site will be home to Donald Trump's new monument to Donald Trump:



Tasteful, no?

No comments: