My irregular musings on city life, politics, baseball, roller derby, and whatever happens to be getting my goat today.

Friday, May 06, 2005

MIT Time Travelers Convention

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Student Organizes Time Traveler Conference
By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN,
Associated Press Writer
46 minutes ago

BOSTON - Attention, time travelers: Amal Dorai hopes you enjoyed the party he's throwing this weekend. Dorai, a student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is hosting a Time Traveler Convention on campus this Saturday. Make plans now, because it's the last such party.

"You only need one," he said.

HR: Dude, I totally went to that party.
EG: It hasn't happened yet.
HR: It's a time travel party, y'idiot. And it was lame.
EG: Sounds kinda cool.
HR: No. No one intersting showed up. Just a bunch of MIT geeks with laptops and pocket protectors talking about Dirk Gently.
EG: No time travelers?
HR: No, just geeks. I heard it was lame, but I went anyway, just to see. They just kept going on and on about their little wine opener things. "Only at MIT" my ass. I saw one at Bistro Margot last year.
EG: Where did you hear it would be lame?
HR: Probably from myself. I mean, I am the only one who went.
EG: So if you'd kept your mouth shut, more people might have showed up? That's what you get for having such a negative attitude.
HR: It was too late by then! I'd already said what I was gonna say!
EG: Face it. You have a bad attitude. Maybe in the future if you had a better attitude, you'd have more fun.
HR: Nah, I've been to the future,man. It stinks. If you want a good time, visit the Seventies.
EG: I just came from there.
HR: Dude, you missed out.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hello there sir. Last night I was telling you about a place where you can look up info on properties in Cook County. The details for each place vary--sometimes you get a photograph and a specific year of construction--but it is still useful.

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/

Mouse over the Online Tools tab then click Residential Property Search.

Heidi

Elwood Grobnik said...

Thanks for the link! It's interesting! Our house was built in 1890.

Although when I looked up addresses I know, the information was wrong (number of units, finshed vs. unfinished basement,etc.). I'd guess the whole tax assessment system is sorta screwed up - there is incentive to lie to lower the assessed value of your property.

Anonymous said...

I think I read this post about two years ago. Or maybe I'll be reading it a year from now. I'm not quite sure.